Pressure sores or pressure ulcers, are areas of damaged skin and tissue that develop when sustained pressure — usually from a bed or wheelchair — cuts off circulation to vulnerable parts of your body, especially the skin on your buttocks, hips and heels.
There are a number of ways to prevent pressure sores such as:
- Check your skin completely
- Uses cushions that meet your needs and provides adequate protection. The Rider Cushion is custom built to fit perfectly on the IntimateRider and RiderMate.
- Move Often – Do weight shifts at least every 15-20 minutes.
- Protect your skin from harm. IntimateRider Slip-Covers provide extra softness and help avoid skin abrasions.
- Take special caution when transferring from a wheelchair.
The seat fabric of the IntimateRider and RiderMate is made from denier nylon and acts as a sling to contour to the shape of your body while providing stability and comfort.
The key is to maintain healthy skin to prevent pressure sores. Be sure to consult with your physician about any questions or concerns you may have.
*source – Spinal Cord Injury Information Network and IntimateRider.com